Tuesday 5 February 2013

Valentine's Day Favors Galore

 
 I decided to be somewhat organized this weekend and get a jump start on making the *thirty* plus Valentine's Day favors for Vivi's preschool class.  Yeah sure, I was so tempted to go to Target and purchase the already-made Dora Valentine's cards.  After all, four year olds will probably get more of a kick out of seeing Boots and Diego attached to their Tootsie Roll Pop over some construction paper hand-made get up.  But, what the hay...I was feeling uber crafty and I had the reassurance from my Vivster that she'd help me paste the tedious bits of paper to the pseudo butterfly wings of our home-made favors...so we were off! 

 (Note to self, never trust a four year old...they're "shifty" and they'll ditch your craft project for " Diary of a Wimpy Kid" in two seconds flat---yes, I know there are plenty of things wrong with the fact that I let my four year old kid watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid but she's the second sibling so what can I say). 

 
 
 
I started out by making a butterfly mold.  And I cut out THIRTY of these suckers.   Next, I hand wrote 'Happy Valentine's Day | Love Vivi' around the perimeter of each and every single heart.  Yep.  Every. Single. Last. Heart.  #carpultunnel
  
 
 
 
I cut out bits and shapes of coordinating paper to decorate the wings of the butterflies.  (The kids helped a bit.  But come'on, who am I fooling.  They prolly completed about two whole butterflies for my twenty eight.  Hey, I'm not wanting a medal!  I'm just setting expectations in case you decide to include your own four year old kid in this project for the future.   

 
 
 
And we finished with thirty eye-googling butterflies! 
 
In the midst of all of this craftiness, I experimented a bit with making a Vine Video about the whole process.  Check it out here.   
 
(I'm sure most have heard about Vine,  but if you haven't, you MUST check it out!). 
It allows users to TWEET and FACEBOOK videos that run on a loop.  This means a world of creativity for design/decor bloggers.  Don't use my video as an example but you could video the beginning | middle | end of a project and tweet it out to the world!  Really cool stuff! 
 
 
On a final note, thank you for all of your support in helping me go as far as possible in the 2013 Apartment Therapy "The Homies" contest for Best Design & Inspirational Blog. 
There is still time to vote, so please do!
 
You have until Friday February 8th to vote and try to catapult Vivid Hue Home into the top #6.   We have been steadily in the top #12 and #13 since the contest opened and would love the opportunity to stay in this arena.  We don't expect to WIN but it's exciting to stay in the game as the top bloggers gain momentum to the top.  We're just so pleased that we've maintained so close to the top for so long and we'd like to stay that way!!!
 
 homies
 

Thank you again,

Cheers!  Heather  |  Vivid Hue Home 
 

5 comments:

  1. You are a Great Mom!! I remember those days fondly ... enjoy the fact they "want" to help!! I am headed over to vote ... I tried the other day and didn't get very far! I will complete the mission today, good luck!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, thank you so much for the vote (for being a *great* mom and for Apartment Therapy Homies).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I remember those days!!!
    You did a FANTASTIC job....Gold Medal MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was shamed by my preschooler yesterday because we don't have enough valentine's day decorations in our house. Maybe I can make it up to her by doing these. You are one crafty mamma! :) And I cast my vote for you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you've inspired me to get off my bottom and "assist" my 7 year old son in making his valentine cards. I have to admit, there's nothing like home made valentines. In the past, my favorite was to make royal icing heart shaped cookies with my son's name written in the middle in icing. But those were the days when I was a stay at home mom. Times are different these days! You've got a lot of energy and creativity - you should be proud!

    Jeanne
    http://www.cozystylishchic.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...