Saturday 7 December 2013

Steps for Simple DIY Ornament Wreath


I made an ornament wreath this year.  Two of them.  Easy peasy and so decorative. 


 

Here are the items required for the wreath:



Steps required to make the ornament wreath:

 I literally started by hot gluing an ornament on each "side" of the circular foam.  I continued by filling in the spaces, working to fit the ornaments together in somewhat of a pattern.  Sort of like fitting puzzle pieces together. 


Over time, most of the surface was populated with ornaments but traces of the green foam still peaked out between. 



I simply continued adding balls on top of each other, almost forming an additional layer of ornaments.  My goal was to hide as much of the green form as possible.  After awhile, it looked like this (below) and I worried that I'd gone over board.  (Nah, the more garish --for me-- the better in the case of this whimsical little wreath). 


 I finished with a string of garland beads and draped them around the wreath.  Any spaces of the original foam were easily hidden by pushing a few beads down the crevices between the ornaments. 
And the finished result was two of these babies:   (only one shown here, but I have them both on these French doors leading into the sunroom).   


A few tips/ lessons learned:

  •  I needed many more ornaments than I originally thought.  I started with about 40 ornaments per wreath and I ended up going back to Michaels to purchase more.  In total, I'd estimate each wreath required about 60 ornaments.

  • In hindsight, I would have wrapped the green foam circle in red ribbon (or ribbon to match the ornaments.  That way, any angles from the side that were left uncovered would be more attractive.  Also, it would require fewer ornaments "layering on top" of each other to hide the circle form. 

This DIY project was super easy with fun results!

For ideas DIY Ornaments, Check out "DIY Felt Ornaments in 10 Minutes

For a tour of Vivid Hue's Home in Christmas-decoration-progress for 2013, check out "Christmas Garland and Tree Tour"

View Vivid Hue Home's 2012 Christmas Tablescape here

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you're enjoying the holiday season!  If you're new to my blog, please follow me!  I love friends and I follow back. 

Cheers,  Heather |  Vivid Hue Home

5 comments:

  1. SO pretty!!! I made a bunch of these a few years ago and it took a ton of ornaments! But totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath looks so festive and pretty. Well done, Heather! Love your tips as well!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous Heather! I remember seeing this on Eddie Ross's site a few years ago!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  4. So bright and fun, Heather ~ it looks just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...