Tuesday 9 October 2012

New Drapes from Ikea

I have been looking for drapes or shades for my son's room to give it warmth.  Here is the original room tour I posted on the blog. 
 
This weekend, I made a trip to IKEA and, on a whim, decided to pick up velvet turquoise drapes.  The real DIY part came in when I actually hung the hardware and drapery myself, which for me is a huge feat--ha! 
 
The room went from this (BEFORE):
 

 
To this (AFTER):


  
 
 
 
 
I also found a brushed gray night stand and dresser that I'd like to get for this bedroom (currently out of stock).  I want to add a touch of orange, khaki and olive to the drawers to match the headboard fabric.  (Then the yellow nightstands will be repurposed elsewhere). 

The drapes add some much needed warmth and coziness to the room.  Just don't sneeze or the rods may collapse onto the floor (I used the hardware from Ikea at $1.49/each and they are chintzy as all get out).  Over time, I may head to home depot and upgrade to something that at least has a finial on the end to keep the curtains from falling right off the ends.  For now, it serves its purpose. 

Total Cost:  $49.99 for each window drape plus $1.49 for each window rod. 
Calico Corner estimate for simple Roman Shades:  $1000

I just saved us $900 bux! 

(Now I can buy a Pagoda Mirror!)  Kidding....EG!
 
Check out other rooms in the house here

xoxo
Heather


11 comments:

  1. Love your Math! My mind works the same way.....Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you have blinds, shutters or shades on your windows, simply adding curtains (even solely for decorative purposes) create a major design impact in a room. They add so much warmth and beauty into a space plus, they soften the hard lines from the window. This room looks great, you did a great job, Heather!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly why I love window treatments so much! They can change a look in a MINUTE (well, as long as it takes to hang them!!). Your Son must be very happy!! Especially fun as the temps get cooler and he can be cozier!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how these drapes warm up the room. What a great son's room! Love the mix of colors and patterns, which you're so fantastic at doing!
    Hope all is well.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love curtains!! They are my favorite part of any room for the way they dress everything up and make it look complete! Here's to hoping yours stay up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect finishing touch. Adds a big hug to the room. I need to hang some drapes and can't get the courage to drill the drapery rods in. Good for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice addition of warmth. You did a great job hanging them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drapery makes such a difference. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my hero.....I HATE hanging rods and curtains more than I hate liver and onions ( never actually tasted that). Such a cute room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The room looks so amazing, Heather! I bet your little man loves this. Those drapes made a lot of difference. The room has a cozier and warmer feel now. This goes to show that a good design need not cost a fortune, and that creativity definitely goes a long way.


    -Roxie Tenner

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an Excellent post.I am inspired with this blog, I always found some great information on this blog.It is very helpful blog to all of us.I really care for such info a lot.Thanks for sharing such an informatics post and Good luck.
    Curtains

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...